 Off-Topic / Fun / 7580
7579  |  7581
Subject:
Phrase
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 20:31:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Larry Pieniazek writes:
So here's a question for the language geeks. Whyfore that phrase? The
Hollanders I've met (that actually were from the Netherlands, not to be
confused with all the Hollanders that live around here in Grand Rapids)
were, to a person, kind and generous. Not the sort that worry about
splitting the check exactly in half.

So why the bum rap?

Where it not the English who came up with that phrase ? If I'm not
mistaking, the've linked some very nasty habits to our nationality during
the time we fought out a fierce naval war with them. There was an incident
where the Dutch destoid and captured some ships right under their eyes in
their naval base Chatham, and they probably hated us for doing so (or for
being too greedy and refusing to return those ships to them).

Greetings, M. Moolhuysen.