 Off-Topic / Geek / 3120
Re: Phrase
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 05:14:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
  I've gotta ask the obvious question (or not so obvious?):  Is
  he writing it in English or in Hebrew?  Or both?

English.

  As an editor
  myself I'm interested in how he's positioned himself and how
  the publishing process works outside the US and Europe.

He hooked up with a publishing company from Europe, actually, it might even
be the Netherlands, but I forget. The publishing company is getting the book
out at *their* expense, and he's getting a percentage of the profit (well...
assuming there is any!).

  Is
  this a commissioned work that already has an agreement to
  publish (which I'd assume, giving your dad's credentials), or
  is it something he's going to shop around after it's all done?

Actually, no, not a comissioned work. It's about his life methodology which
he *has* been developing while working at the Technion (and MIT for that
matter), *but* the book is independent of both. And he's hoping to sell it
around after it's done, yeah. It's not the money he's after though (1), he's
only getting a small percentage of the profits as I mentioned above. He
wants his ideas to spread out, he has high hopes for it. I hope it all works
out, though I have my doubts, but he has some great ideas in there. He has
trouble focusing though (that's where I come in... having written my junior
thesis this year, I daresay I'm a better writer than he is! (2)). His book
is challanging some Object Oriented concepts, on which UML is built on. IMHO
his ideas are a lot better than what I've seen from UML. ;-) Oh well...

Then again, his startup is based on these idea, so if the book takes off
*really* well, he could end up pretty durn rich, since he's the only one who
has the technology to work with these ideas. Then *again*, I gave up on his
startup before it even started up. ;-) We'll see though. I wouldn't mind if
the startup did succeed, coz I've got stocks in there, and you know what
that means! (LEGO! Lots of it!) But *honestly*? I'd much rather see his
*idea* succeed than his startup. But then once again, they're closely related...

  Oh man, am *I* ever old.  =:S  Happy birthday!

Aww, naww... and thanks! :-)

-Shiri

(1) Of course that's always a perk though. ;-)
(2) I was a finalist for the Kennedy Prize, a pretty prestigious award at my
school for the best Junior Thesis (one for each curriculum).