 Off-Topic / Geek / 3131
Re: UML +/-
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 04:09:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Larry Pieniazek writes:

<snip>

Rereading that it sounds like I don't like/approve of UML. That would be
incorrect. That it has been adopted as a standard instead of several rival
notations and methodologies is a *huge( win for the industry. And I think
it's tremendously useful in the proper context. It *is* learnable and people
that use it a lot do not trip over the notations the way I do.

I just don't use it all that much myself since I don't necessarily spend a
lot of time in the design space...

Understandable. Actually, I *didn't* get the impression that you didn't like
UML; I just got the impression that its uses weren't fully, well, useful to you.

<shameless plug>
My dad's methodology, while not directly opposing UML, challanges some of
the concepts that UML is built on (the Object Oriented approach). His
Object-Process Methodology (OPM) treats processes independently from
objects, and as equal entities. Instead of the 9 UML models, there is *just
one* - which manages to portray everything the 9 UML models do. The model is
then presented in both graphics and a collection of natural-language
sentences, with equivalent semantics. The two representations complement e/o
and appeal to both sides of the brain, both visually and lingually.

His book is going to be coming out in print sometime this next academic year
(2001-2002).

</shameless plug>

I get no percentage of his profits, just to be clear on that. ;-)

-Shiri