 Off-Topic / Fun / 7560
Re: New Train Sets #10013 and #10014
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 05:29:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  LFB (because at least *one* American has to try Dutch...) ;)

Well, I've tried "going dutch", anyway. Typically it would be the last date
I went on with that particular girl. :-)

So here's a question for the language geeks. Whyfore that phrase? The
Hollanders I've met (that actually were from the Netherlands, not to be
confused with all the Hollanders that live around here in Grand Rapids)
were, to a person, kind and generous. Not the sort that worry about
splitting the check exactly in half.

So why the bum rap?

My suspicion is that it actually was meant to apply to the Pennsylvania
Dutch who were actually German. (all the non fun loving germans moved to
Pennslyvania and all the non fun loving hollanders moved to west michigan,
that's my theory)...

++Lar