 Off-Topic / Fun / 564
  Re: Free NNTP server

Sorry - only just read this. Matt Marshall wrote in message ... (...) I'd say Xitami by Imatix ((URL) ). Very stable, completely free and provides FTP support as well. (...) As you've read already Monolith aren't doing it any more, but you could try (...) (26 years ago, 30-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Free NNTP server

Thanks, I've been working with Personal Web Server that came with win 98 just one question about it, How do I go back in time and stop myself from installing this piece of crap software(one more good point why profanity should be allowed, describing (...) (26 years ago, 30-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Free NNTP server

Hmmmm ... I have much experience with IIS3 ... IT SUCKS ... the ONLY thing that it does good is take up space ... a lot of space. Once you install it, IIS will actually modify the OS to supposedly operate better. BAH ... I personally use Apache with (...) (26 years ago, 31-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Free NNTP server

(...) Err, yeah. PWS is rather.... unstable, heavyweight, and words like those I think I'm looking for. (...) Well, I've just about done with my setup. I have a 24-hour cable-modem hookup, but it acts just like it's a (albeit 115k2) modem. I took an (...) (26 years ago, 31-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Free NNTP server

Do you use apache on win95? Matt Marshall $%#$% Vacuum Cleaners Always get my pieces!!! Matt's Lego Page (URL) (26 years ago, 31-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Free NNTP server

(...) Not that we'll get cable modems here in Knoxville anytime soon, but do you mean you only get 115k download speed or upload? I have friends with cable modems and they get much faster download speeds. (26 years ago, 31-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Free NNTP server

You can. But I really don't recommend it, nor does the Apache group. I run it on NT as a service, and occasionally, on my Win98 machine at home. Once you get a feel for it, it's quite nice. WarFTP brings me back to the days of BBS'es since the guy (...) (26 years ago, 1-Jan-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Free NNTP server

If you can afford it, try to get xDSL. The main reason for this, is that it's 'more dedicated' than a cable modem. With a cable modem, you have many others on the same line at any given time. I believe that a cable company normally runs a 30MegaBit (...) (26 years ago, 1-Jan-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Free NNTP server

(...) I saw you bash IIS3 earlier. I'm only just now starting to play with it, mainly because I'm not taking IIS3 as one of my elective classes so I figured I should play with it on my own if I want to go for the MCSE+Internet instead of just MCSE. (...) (26 years ago, 1-Jan-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Free NNTP server

(...) Pfffft. I doubt we'll see ADSL or anything like it here in Knoxville within the next 2 years. I'm still not well read on it, though. I know my department is planning on starting some ADSL testing this year, though. Maybe I can get in on it. (...) (26 years ago, 1-Jan-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Free NNTP server

(...) Well ... _I_ don't like IIS (3 or 4) because they take up a lot of space and have a lot of overhead that in my situation is unnecessary. I will admit that if you have some IT pro working on it 40hrs/week it can run fast, good, and smooth. IIS (...) (26 years ago, 1-Jan-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Free NNTP server

(...) It's quite nice. All you need to do, is have a hub, hook the xDSL modem into the hub, and you have all the access you want. We currently have 5 computers on our system, with only 1 xDSL connection. (our ISP dynamically allocates IP's for (...) (26 years ago, 1-Jan-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Free NNTP server

(...) That's because _our_ cvable provider gives us Kabelfoon Cablemodems :( They operate on a serial port, and thus are limited to 115k2 by their UART. Also, it appears that the limit on the local cable net is 155k (that is 155k is shared by (...) (26 years ago, 3-Jan-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Free NNTP server

(...) Hmm... I'm in the Netherlands. i doubt DSL is available yet, or for the next 5 years or so. And then it'll prolly cost $300/month. :( (...) Of course, the aforementioned cable modem, tho being limited to 115k2 (and often getting less at busy (...) (26 years ago, 3-Jan-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Free NNTP server

(...) Man, that sucks. I don't even think I could describe how much that sucks. Cable modem connection squeezed down to 115k? Wonder what kind of jackass thought that up? Hard to believe that the pipe to the "area" would only be 155k, though. Get 5 (...) (26 years ago, 3-Jan-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Free NNTP server

(...) Somebody that manufactures the cable modems and the stuff on the other side of the pipe :( (...) Yeah. You figured it out. That's why many people are complaining about low speed. (...) Well, the serial port on the modem (it basically resembles (...) (26 years ago, 5-Jan-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)