 Off-Topic / Debate / 7157
Re: What am I missing here?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 22:42:48 GMT

Okay, I'll quit that pointless debate.

Thanks!

But I'm still so mad about George Bush tampering with those ballot boxes!

Why be mad about that? Small time stuff. Heck, be like me and be mad about
the whole shouting match. The duopoly we have stinketh, and the minor
illegalities(1) pale beside how the law itself is rigged.

1 - not that they should be overlooked. The Bush camp ought to stop
preparing for taking office, and ought to stop asking Gore to concede. (2)
It ain't over yet, and until somebody concedes, its conceited to prep for an
office not yet won. The Gore camp ought to stop complaining about ballots
that their party put in place, since apparently their voters in Palm Beach
aren't very bright. An editorial I liked:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/11/10/ED88626.DTL
(sorry, you have to paste it back together, I left out the arrows showing
where to reattach it, but you cah hack it...)

I can't find the URL but someone administered a test to a class full of 8
year olds using a similar but not identical ballot (it had Goofy and Mickey
Mouse, please don't confuse them with our big party candidates, they're not
the same, trust me!!) and all the 8 year olds got it right.

2 -And while they're at it, buy their guy a grammar book. Or just keep him
quiiiiiet. The language Dubya mangles may be your own.
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20001110/ts/eln_election_rdp.html Quoting:
"The quicker this gets resolved the better off it is for the nation"

OK, let's review here... two possible correct wordings are:
"The quicker this gets resolved the better it is for the nation"
"The quicker this gets resolved the better off the nation will be"

Both actually use less words. And are correcter. :-)

++Lar