 Off-Topic / Debate / 7089
Re: Treacleheads (was Re: Sticking it to Todd (was Re: Clones Database))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 11:01:12 GMT

Dave Low wrote:

Just for being clear, I already share your arguments that I snipped, and
I already give some comments in my posts about it, but I have some
objections here..:-)

"Legos" (meaning any generic plastic brick) is all of the following (AFAIK
and IMHO):

1. A usage exclusive to the United States, and possibly Canada.

Are you sure?..:-) All the non lego people around here (who cannot
distinguish the brands) calls any brick system that is real lego or an
imitation of it as "lego", or "legolar" which is the plural form of it
in Turkish.

2. A usage that is wrong on the grounds of grammar, law and aesthetics.
Do you say "I like fasts reds cars"? or "I like to drink Cokes"? (this one
might be okay if you're a severe caffeine addict)

You English speakers..:-) Grammar? Our grammar completely different form
your language (yeess, there are languages other than English.:-) and I
can easily say "cokes" in my language (i.e. kolalar), which is
grammatically correct, if I'm talking about several bottles/cans of
coke. Aesthetics? I can't see any annoying thing about "kolalar" or
"legolar"..:-) Actually what annoys me is calling a single thing in
plural form (trousers, scissors, etc..) Law? Heheheheeheh..:-)

3. Only part of what Lugnet is about.

Completely agree in full extent.:-)

Clones are cheap and have some different parts. Quality tends to be very
poor to almost acceptable. Lego is generally high quality (at least in terms
of production), much more diverse and something that many of us have a large
emotional investment in. I wonder how many clone fans would be truly
heart-broken if Ritvik went bust?

Completely agree in full extent.:-)

In short, anyone who genuinely thinks the L in Lugnet stands for "legos" is
a W.-voting <treacle>head.

Completely agree when you put this "legos" here to mean "all kind of
plastic bricks", Not agree completely since "lego" and "legos" mean same
thing to me, which is strictly "LEGO brand building bricks"..:-)

Selçuk