 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 620
Re: Clones Database (was Re: MB sightings)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 19:43:57 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Tore Eriksson writes:
Dan Boger wrote:
On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 10:25:29AM +0000, richard marchetti wrote:
I realize that Lugnet is owned by two persons, and is not a democracy --
but I think that there are many Lugnet users that would be grateful to
have access to clone information when they need it.
I can contribute a handful of scanned instructions myself...
Does a consensus of Lugnet users in favor of creating such a clone database
matter at all in this decision, Todd?

personally, I think there's no room for such a DB on lugnet.  If you want
to start up your own DB offsite, then perhaps Todd would put a link from
off-topic.clones to your DB - but I don't think it should be on site.

Yes, I agree with Dan. I think a link to an off-site database or clone
portal would be very useful information. Even the rtl LEGO FAQ page had a
section of clones information.
http://www.multicon.de/fun/legofaq.html#a16

I agree with Dan and Tore -- if there's an off-site DB of clone stuff, let's
link to that.  It doesn't need to be hosted on lugnet.com.

But no, I find no reason that the database or any other information besides
the clone-brands group should be hosted by Lugnet.

Me neither.

One reason I would like to see a clone database hosted by Lugnet would
so that it could have a consistent feel. Todd has gone to a lot of
effort to produce a good set database engine, why squander that effort
only on LEGO brand sets? If Todd doesn't want to host a clone database,
would he consider making his software available for someone else to run
a clone database?

Of course the side by side question would be would Kevin Loch be willing
to host clone instruction scans (which could be limited by how the
clones express their "license" to use them)?

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com