 Off-Topic / Debate / 7055
Re: Treacleheads
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 18:24:47 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Eric Joslin writes:

I wonder how many clone fans would be truly heart-broken if Ritvik went bust?

I would be greatly upset, and I think (though I can't speak for him) that
Richard would likewise be upset.  And you should be, too; Ritvik is LEGO's
primary competitor and as such provides the only protection against LEGO's
complacency.

Are they the only thing keeping LEGO from complacency, or are they driving
LEGO to juniorise the heck out of everything?

  My take is that LEGO's trend toward Juniorization would continue with or
without market competition, since we have evidence of its roots long before
any serious competitor hit the market.  LEGO can't blame (not that they do)
their own reduced product quality on the presence of a competitor.

If they didn't have to contend with competition, would they be dumbing down
their sets, or would they be producing high-quality, high-part-count sets
still?

  As above, the trend toward Juniorization began long ago.

Or is it competition from video games and TV that are driving LEGO to
juniorise?

  I think LEGO perceives this as a major factor.  In Dear.Lego another clone
apologist cited Ritvik's success with high-piece-count sets despite LEGO's
alleged market research suggesting kids "don't have time" for bigger sets.

What kind of sets do you think LEGO would produce in a total competition
vacuum?

  Hard to say, but you can bet they would maximize profit, and set design be
darned.  If that means filling a set with Juniorized pieces, so be it.

     Dave!