 Off-Topic / Debate / 21283
Re: How to start a fire.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:40:55 GMT

I'm not sure that quite qualifies perspective-wise, even accepting the fact that
abortion==murder. We're talking (assumedly) military-inflicted deaths in Iraq
versus civilian-inflicted deaths through abortion. And even beyond that, the
Iraqi population is what? Like 22 million? US is 275 million? So for even
comparison's sake you'd need at least 12,500 US deaths to compare to? Though I'd
easily believe that within the span of our Iraqi occupation, there have been
more than that many abortions.

Over 1000 every day.

Regardless, apples and oranges. I'd accuse you of intentionally wanting to
argue the principles of abortion rather than the Iraqi issue at hand in that
instance-- hence baiting and/or trolling.

Yeah I figured it might be taken that way, that is why the subject is "how to
start a fire"

Which is a perfectly fine topic, but I wouldn't recommend posing it as a
terribly relevant topic when discussing Iraqi civilian deaths. I could just as
easily make a nearly equally relevant point by
taking the animal-rights-activist standpoint and saying that more innocent
animals in the US are slaughtered every day.

Here's an honest, relevant question for anyone that knows: How many military
(IE government) inflicted deaths did Saddam's regime cause in a typical year
in his country? I don't honestly know that there was ever even 1, but going by
all the hype, they make it sound like it wouldn't be unexpected. Anyone have
stats?

Well assuming we can trust the news reports of mass graves. The estimates I have
read in the paper are over 1 million over the past 10-12 years. As no one seems
to be arguing that Saddam was a brutal dictator, I see no reason not to beleive
this. Of course there are plenty of other dictators doing the same thing but
they don't have weapons of mass destruction so we will just let them be. Oh wait
neither did Saddam, hmmm, the other dictators don't have oil so we just let them
be.

-Mike Petrucelli