 Off-Topic / Debate / 21311
Re: How to start a fire.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 23:01:32 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
Almost if not completely verbatim...
I ran into an old friend the yesterday and really 'ruffled his feathers.' We got
on the subject of the Iraq war and he made the comment:
   "Over 1000 Iraqi civilians were killed and we didn't even find anything."
I replied:
   "So? Didn't you know life has no value?"
   "What are you talking about?!"
   "Well let's keep things in perspective shall we. More people than that are
murdered every day in the U.S."
   "What?!"
   "Sure we just use the euphemism 'Abortion' so people don't get all upset
about it"
   "That is not the same thing."
   "Why not? Innocent life is innocent life after all."
He stared dumbfounded for a moment then shook his head and said good bye.

Going on the assumption that abortion = murder, your argument is that an
unconnected wrong justifies another.  This requires that you prove any abortion
= murder without condition (not to mention you are still saddled with proving
one wrong justifies another).

Assuming that abortion /= murder, your argument is simply a way to dodge the
justifications, or lack thereof, of the Iraqi war.

Let me ask you a question: do you think your friend walked away because he felt
there was no way to refute your argument, or that he thought it was too specious
to bother with?

-->Bruce<--