 Off-Topic / Debate / 21310
Re: How to start a fire.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 22:55:51 GMT

Once the cell mass has a heartbeat (which occurs after about 21 days) it is
distinctly human. Prior to that the cell mass could technically become
anything.

  So you're in favor of embryonic stem-cell research?

Yes. I also have no problem with someone taking the "after morning" pill within
the first 2 weeks. (If someone waits longer than that it is their choice and
they should deal with the consequeces of their choice.)

That's a tangential point (purely for my own curiosity) but it meshes nicely >with your overall argument.
  Anyway, why is a heartbeat the deciding factor?

It is a trailing indicator that the embryo is now a fetus and therefore has
distinct human characteristics. (Mini biology lesson: All animal embryos are
virtually identical. Only when the embryo delvelopes into a fetus does it take
the characteristics of its parent speices. i.e. limb placement, organ placement,
etc.)

What distinct difference exists between pre-heartbeat and post-heartbeat,
other than the heartbeat itself?  Is a heartbeat the primary determinor of
human life?  What if the heart stops afterwards--is the person no longer a
person?  What if the heart is only kept beating via external technological
aid?   I should admit for the sake of good humor that I kept typing
"heartbeet," which sounds like somekind of NewAge vegetable.

Well chevy trucks are the "heartbeat of America" but I don't think those are New
Age or vegetables. :-)

Not if it is known that the person will recover, or as should be the in >>case of a child, that it will be born.

  Careful, that's a straw man, too.  I've been using the term "fetus" to
describe an as-yet-unborn individual.

"Fetus" is simply the scientific term for an unborn animal. (including humans)

If you refer instead to a child
as-yet-unborn, then that's not my argument, and I don't have to support it.
  Anyway, there is no certainty whatsoever that a viable birth will occur, >even with today's medicine.

The odds are overwhelmingly in favor of it.

If you're willing to accept the likelihood that the
birth will occur, then you must accept the likelihood that a vegetative
person will not recover, and therefore that the death of the vegetative person
(a "former" person as much as an embryo is a "pre" person) is acceptable.

If there was anywhere near the chance of that of a child being born, that a
vegetative person would "wake up" I doubt anyone would pull the plug.

Beliving people must live with the consequences of thier own choices,
including the consequence of having sex, is a circular straw man?

  No.  Calling the termination of an embryo "murder" is equivalent to
assuming the conclusion of your argument. We are disputing whether an
embryo/cell mass qualifies a person, and therefore whether the termination of
that embryo/cell mass qualifies as murder.

No were debating whether killing a fetus is murder.

Your claim of "Murder to avoid inconvenience..." simply assumes the conclusion
without proving it.  Therefore, the statement is circular.
  Besides which, I'm not making any claims of responsibility re: sex, so
you're attacking a straw man by requiring me to argue that point as if it were
mine.

But it is. You do not belive that a fetus is a child whereas I do. I think that
is the crux of the argument.

I would instead say that people who choose to terminate an embryo have chosen
to take responsibility for the consequences of having sex.  The fact that
their choice is unpalatable to you is not relevant.

Murder is not a legitimate choice for they have imposed their will on an
innocent life.

Besides which, you have at least several times advocated murder to avoid
inconvenience:

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=15479
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=17509

Do you no longer advocate such murders of convenience?

Murder is defined as the killing of an innocent. Killing someone who is not
innocent (i.e. criminals) is not murder.

-Mike Petrucelli