 Off-Topic / Debate / 17509
Re: Those stupid liberal judges are at it again!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 04:56:33 GMT

[snip]

My point is that it is okay to protect *all* matters of freedom of religious
expression up and until people fly planes into buildings... k, that was a
little far--my personal philosophy has *always* been that anyone can believe
what they want as long as it never infringes on other peoples beliefs.  Your
non-belief in any god has absolutely no bearing on my belief in God.

I absolutely agree with this.

[snip]

Exactly!  If the Congress had done the right thing, it never would have
issued its endorsement of religion in the first place, and think of the
money that would have been saved!  The problem occurred because in 1954 the
Congress stepped in where it shouldn't have (believe it or not).

Agreed, but when good politicians do what they consider good things for good
reasons at the time... look at the 2nd ammendment for what may happen years
down the road when new situations and different worldviews arise--what was
once a good idea, now becomes vague, disconcerting, derisive and causes no
end of yapping from all sides--times change and we should be adaptable and
not be beholden to something that was written in a time that isn't today.

Well you may call it yapping about the 2nd amendment but that is a fundamental
right.  Without said right all other fundamental rights are unenforceable.  Let
me put it this way (again); A politician can not infringe upon the rights of
the people so long as the people can shoot said politician for trying.

[snip]

Now that is a point worth making, and that is what I surmized from your
original post, but it wasn't totally clear, though looking at my post, it
wasn't clear that I support the official removal of 'under God' from the
pledge, so my bad too.

It is now stated and I wholeheartedly agree with you--we need consistancy
with rulings, and the bias of a lifestyle should not be the defining
factor--if something is found unconstitutional, that unconstitutional ruling
should be supported, when the ruling is in favour of your personal beliefs
*as well as* when the ruling goes against your personal beliefs.

When the Pledge issue first started I was indifferent to the whole thing,
thinking it was largely irrelevant.  Having reasearched and actually thought
about it I realize that this is a serious violation of the 1st amendment. It
should never have been enacted in the first place. So I agree that 'under God'
should be removed. That would not affect those that do believe in God but
leaving 'under God' is a serious affront to those that do not believe in God.

As far as the school club, why should any 'optional' activity be disallowed
because of religion (or lack there of as far as the oppisite viewpoint goes)

-Mike Petrucelli