 Off-Topic / Debate / 21306
Re: How to start a fire.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 21:48:04 GMT

Disagree. Once the cell mass is discernably human and has a heartbeat it is
a person. What about the mentally handicapped?

  Who determines when it's discernably human?

Once the cell mass has a heartbeat (which occurs after about 21 days) it is
distinctly human. Prior to that the cell mass could technically become anything.

If I put a 64-cell embryo on your desk, would you be able to tell me that
it's human?  Who do you identify as a credible authority on determining
humanness?

Maybe a DNA expert but it would be tough.

  By pre-brain-functional, I refer to brains that have not yet begun to
function. (and, for that matter, brains that have ceased to function, which
would be post- instead of pre-).  The mentally handicapped are not in that
category.

So the age of a person determines their worth?

  Careful--that's a straw man.  I am saying that a pre-person (ie, one who is
not yet a person, or one who is a so-called "potential person") is not the
same as a person who has memories and experiences.

By your definition, not mine.

What about the physically handicapped?

  If a person is wholly dependent upon artificial life support but is
mentally functional, then an outside agent does not have the right to end that
person's life, because the person is a person, with memories and experience.
  If a person is wholly dependent upon artificial life support and is in a
persistent vegetative state, then that person's life support can be >terminated by an authorized actor on his behalf.

Not if it is known that the person will recover, or as should be the in case of
a child, that it will be born.

At that point, the person's memories and experiences are gone already.

How's that for starters?

I belive freedom of choice is whether or not to have sex. If peopole do
*anything* it is their responsibility to deal with the consequence. Murder
to avoid inconvience is just sick.

That's a circular argument and a straw man.

Beliving people must live with the consequences of thier own choices, including
the consequence of having sex, is a circular straw man?

-Mike Petrucelli