 Off-Topic / Debate / 21298
Re: How to start a fire.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 19:47:46 GMT

  He's not much of a debater then, is he?  If you're really interested in
tackling this subject, I'm game.
  The first point of contention is that a blastocyst is not a person, and the
elimination of a blastocyst is not the elimination of a person, innocent or
otherwise.

Agreed.

  The second point of contention is that a sentient person is not the same as
a non-sentient person.  That is, a pre-brain-functional human is not
equivalent to a brain-functional person. This is true even if the
pre-brain-functional person currently holds the office of President of the US.

Disagree. Once the cell mass is discernably human and has a heartbeat it is a
person. What about the mentally handicapped?

  The third point of contention is that an innocent person with years of
experiences and memories is not the same as an innocent pre-person with zero
experiences or memories.

So the age of a person determines their worth?

  The fourth point of contention is that a fetus that does not have
independent physiological viability is not the same as a person who has
independent physiological viability.

What about the physically handicapped?

  How's that for starters?

I belive freedom of choice is whether or not to have sex. If peopole do
*anything* it is their responsibility to deal with the concequences. Murder to
avoid inconvience is just sick.

-Mike Petrucelli