 Off-Topic / Debate / 21297
Re: Swift was Right! (He just named the wrong people...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 19:35:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
   OK, I have to ask because I really don’t get this reply at all: http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=21278

Humour! Breeders we ain’t.

   How do you apply that principle to the issue of Abortion. Obviously my opinion is that the freedom of choice is whether or not to have sex and that abortion is a euphemism for murder.

I’m okay with idea of abortion as the killing of a living thing, but not as murder. Murder can be defined as “the unlawful killing of another person.” I deny that a foetus is a person with rights under the law. The foetus is not independent, it is in its way, parasitic. A person afflicted by the presence of a foetus may destroy the foetus with the same aforethought as they might apply to putting the squeeze on a flea.

What’s my personal cut-off point? The umbilical cord. When the foetus is free of the womb, it is a person with at least most of the rights, if not all the rights of an adult.

Interesting, personally I figure after the first month when the cell mass has a discernable heartbeat and human form it should be protected as a baby.

   Oddly enough I am reminded of your ground beef analogy.

What the heck was that?

It was regarding gun ownership and freedom going hand in hand. It was along the lines of, almost everybody like hamburger or steak (I know steak isn’t ground) but if you talk about how a cow is slaughtered to get that meat, people get ‘uncomfortable’. I think that applies here too. If someone (as you do) believes that a fetus (what the heck is a foetus?) is just a parasite then ‘sqashing it like a flea’ makes perfect sense. If someone suggests that you are actually murdering a baby, people tend to get ‘uncomfortable.’

-Mike Petrucelli