 Off-Topic / Debate / 21296
Re: How to start a fire.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:34:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
Almost if not completely verbatim...
I ran into an old friend the yesterday and really 'ruffled his feathers.' We got
on the subject of the Iraq war and he made the comment:
   "Over 1000 Iraqi civilians were killed and we didn't even find anything."
I replied:
   "So? Didn't you know life has no value?"
   "What are you talking about?!"
   "Well let's keep things in perspective shall we. More people than that are
murdered every day in the U.S."
   "What?!"
   "Sure we just use the euphemism 'Abortion' so people don't get all upset
about it"
   "That is not the same thing."
   "Why not? Innocent life is innocent life after all."
He stared dumbfounded for a moment then shook his head and said good bye.

  He's not much of a debater then, is he?  If you're really interested in
tackling this subject, I'm game.
  The first point of contention is that a blastocyst is not a person, and the
elimination of a blastocyst is not the elimination of a person, innocent or
otherwise.
  The second point of contention is that a sentient person is not the same as a
non-sentient person.  That is, a pre-brain-functional human is not equivalent to
a brain-functional person. This is true even if the pre-brain-functional person
currently holds the office of President of the US.
  The third point of contention is that an innocent person with years of
experiences and memories is not the same as an innocent pre-person with zero
experiences or memories.
  The fourth point of contention is that a fetus that does not have independent
physiological viability is not the same as a person who has independent
physiological viability.

  How's that for starters?

     Dave!