 Off-Topic / Debate / 21302
Re: How to start a fire.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 20:14:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
  He's not much of a debater then, is he?  If you're really interested in
tackling this subject, I'm game.
  The first point of contention is that a blastocyst is not a person, and the
elimination of a blastocyst is not the elimination of a person, innocent or
otherwise.

Agreed.

   The second point of contention is that a sentient person is not the same as
a non-sentient person.  That is, a pre-brain-functional human is not
equivalent to a brain-functional person. This is true even if the
pre-brain-functional person currently holds the office of President of the US.

Disagree. Once the cell mass is discernably human and has a heartbeat it is a
person. What about the mentally handicapped?

  Who determines when it's discernably human?  If I put a 64-cell embryo on your
desk, would you be able to tell me that it's human?  Who do you identify as a
credible authority on determining humanness?
  By pre-brain-functional, I refer to brains that have not yet begun to function
(and, for that matter, brains that have ceased to function, which would be post-
instead of pre-).  The mentally handicapped are not in that category.

  The third point of contention is that an innocent person with years of
experiences and memories is not the same as an innocent pre-person with zero
experiences or memories.

So the age of a person determines their worth?

  Careful--that's a straw man.  I am saying that a pre-person (ie, one who is
not yet a person, or one who is a so-called "potential person") is not the same
as a person who has memories and experiences.

   The fourth point of contention is that a fetus that does not have
independent physiological viability is not the same as a person who has
independent physiological viability.

What about the physically handicapped?

  If a person is wholly dependent upon artificial life support but is mentally
functional, then an outside agent does not have the right to end that person's
life, because the person is a person, with memories and experience.
  If a person is wholly dependent upon artificial life support and is in a
persistent vegetative state, then that person's life support can be terminated
by an authorized actor on his behalf.  At that point, the person's memories and
experiences are gone already.

How's that for starters?

I belive freedom of choice is whether or not to have sex. If peopole do
*anything* it is their responsibility to deal with the concequences. Murder
to avoid inconvience is just sick.

  That's a circular argument and a straw man.

     Dave!