 Off-Topic / Debate / 21316
Re: How to start a fire.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 02:35:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:

<snip>

No an unrelated wrong does not justify the other. However it is receiving undue
attention when there are larger concerns to worry about. Much like I can not
figure out why everyone made such a big deal about the space shuttle accident.
Far more people are killed every day in car accidents but no one makes a
national fuss. In both cases it is a tradgedy but why is the lesser tradgedy
given more attention?

<snip>

-Mike Petrucelli

I think, at least for me, and I believe I've heard others describe it this
way--like when Kennedy got shot, when the Apollo 1 caught fire, when the
Challenger blew up, and when the Columbia was lost, it's the 'death of a
national (sometimes international) dream'.

When someone dies, it impacts the family and the friends of that person,  When
the space shuttles blew up, it's not just the families of the lost astronauts,
it's the hopes and dreams of, well I want to say everyone, but that may be too
encompassing--Our dreams as a nation and as a people faced a set-back when these
things happened.

But that's just the dreamer in me speaking.

I cried when I saw the Challenger blow up.  I cried when those planes flew into
the towers.  I almost cried when I saw the footage of the Columbia breaking up
across the sky.  Those things hit the hope, the dream, the want of something
better (and each for different reasons...)

At least that's what it means to me.

Bah, every once in a while I'll be listening to Beethoven's 7th and I'll get a
little misty thinking about him, being deaf, and trying to write this symphony,
then I'll hear Mr Holland talk about it (I listened to Ludwig far before Mr
Hollands Opus but it adds to the emotion).

And last week I watched Amadeus again for the umteenth time (own the DVD) and
when 'Wolfie' passes away and there's the funeral scene in the rain, and then
the 'paupers burial' and the 'I'll pass out the blessings of mediocrity...'
Wow, getting a little twinge just thinking about it.

Who have you never met in your life  but their death impacted on you in a
significant way?  For me, Gene Roddenberry and Jacques Yves thus far.  At this
exact time I can't think of who else would affect me in this fashion that's
alive today.

Anyway I digress from your regular scheduled debate.

Dave K