 Off-Topic / Debate / 21282
Re: Swift was Right! (He just named the wrong people...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:30:05 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
Using the theroy (sp) that armed people prevent crimes, it would seem to be
discredited rather quickly by looking at statistics.

Thanks--that's exactly my point!

OK, how about this; Almost all crimes that are prevented by armed people,
rather than something else, are not police but rather armed citizens. Is
that better?

  If you're being facetious, that's fine, but the issue is that you can't
reasonably assume that X number of crimes are prevented by any particular
factor, without additional evidence or criteria.

Seriously though we need to keep this whole "high crime rate in
the US" thing is perspective. A person more likely to be killed in a car
accident on their way to work then they are to be robbed by an armed
criminal and live through it. (And armed robbery is far more frequent than
actually being killed by a criminal.)

  That may be so, but so what?  The fact remains that gun-homicide rates are
shockingly high in the US (with its relatively loose gun control laws) as
compared with other nations (some of which have relatively tight gun control
laws).  Relative to other nations, the US gun-homicide rates *is* high,
objectively speaking.

That has always been the case regardless of the other countries Gun Control
laws.

It is irrelevant whether rates of US car-accident-death
are also high.

  Remember, I'm not a fanatical gun control advocate, either.  I just don't
accept flawed reasoning as a justification for increased gun ownership.

Gun Control does not help prevent crime, it only makes it safer for criminals to
commit them. Besides, Gun Control is not about crime it is about Government
control over the people. It is just another piece of the puzzle.

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=21135

-Mike Petrucelli