 Off-Topic / Debate / 21284
Re: Swift was Right! (He just named the wrong people...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:43:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva wrote:
   Could you clarify what “common law” is?

The term is perhaps a little “overloaded” with history, but in a criminal law context it basically means laws against theft, rape, and murder (and all of the usual lesser versions of those kinds of crimes).

   The parental role of the government isn’t necessarily bad.

True, but that has nothing to do with my civil liberties or the greater concept of freedom. I absolutely demand the right to do things that might be expensive, harmful, stupid, etc. as a matter of right.

If I choose to ride a motorcycle without a helmet that is my business. Just as it is my business when I crack my head like an egg against the pavement.

Just sign here that you waive all rights to any public health aid, and agree to reimburse the state for scrapping your remains off the road.

Of course, this also points out the “parental government role” you complain about. :-)

My rights. My death. My way.

As long as you were the only victim.

I demand the right to swing my fist right to the tip of your nose.

Bang! Oops, couldn’t tell you were going to stop, Witnesses concur.

Yeah, I know, it’s a hypothetical excercise, but why such a bad hypothetical excercise is always trotted out, I don’t know.

-->Bruce<--