 Off-Topic / Debate / 20342
Re: Some Weird Action Team turns 4 years old!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 20:12:06 GMT

"Hendo (John P. Henderson)" wrote:

In lugnet.general, Thomas Stangl writes:
BTW, I'd rather be someone's "major disappointment" with my <sarcasm> SO brutal ways
</sarcasm> and prepare them for life in the Real World, than have some innocent that
thinks the world owes them everything step out in the world and get run over by a
figurative Mack truck.  Tough Love, and all, you know.  Better a little pain in
preparation for the constant pain of Real Life than taking it all at once when they
leave their obviously sheltered life.

I am all for "keeping it real" in the sense that I don't care much for
'sugar coating' things, and I can get annoyed if I feel someone is always
'sugar coating' what they share with me (this happens a lot where I work
actually).  But at the same time, I disagree with the notion that Real Life
is somehow a horrible constant pain (as you imply).

Oh no, I don't consider it a constant pain in the way you are probably thinking.  I think
the Meaning of Life is to enjoy yourself as much as possible without hurting others
(unless they like it <g>).  But Daily Life IS constant pain.  I'm not talking life/death
pain here, I'm talking anything - minor annoyances, major problems, whatever.  If you
have no pain in your daily life, you must be totally isolated from reality in some way.

Our society in the US seems to be leaning more and more towards TOTALLY insulating people
from the consequences of reality.  That will only hurt us in the long run, it certainly
will NOT help.

In my experience, Real
Life can be an amazing, refreshing, and enlightening thing.  It can have as
many positive things as negative ones.  Part of me wonders whether the
apparent proliferation of the negative stems from those who have attitudes
that Real Life has to be so bad all the time.

I would rather be slightly pessimistic than optimistic - if a pessimist is wrong, the
outcome is usually a Good Thing, but the same cannot be said for an optimist ;-)

That being said, anyone that knows me in person, on a daily basis, knows that I'm still
probably more optimistic than most.

Heck, here I am at work, wondering if I'll be working in this position in a couple
months, or even for Sun at all (I'm moving to FL, and there are no Sun buildings local to
the area, and I have to be in a Sun building for my work at this time, until they build a
better call system that allows working from home), and I'm not stressing over it.  But I
AM ready for disappointment if it turns out I'll be looking for a job at a new company.