 Off-Topic / Debate / 19123
Re: Brick Testament in Trouble?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 21:01:47 GMT

I'm glad you put a winky there-- that is one of my hot buttons-- "artists"
hiding behind the First Amendment while they purvey filth and obscenity-- and
then *I* have to support it! (NEA in the US)

Well, John, maybe you just don't understand art ?

Don't forget that not so long ago, many great artists were considered doing
filth and obcenity too...  These artists are now the great ones that we
study in art school.  Artists, in my opinion, are often a hundred years
ahead of those who don't understand their art.

Of course, there are things that are obviously NOT art, so your statement,
in some cases, could be right, but generally not.  Since you were so vague,
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt about it and I'll simply consider
that you meant it in very specific cases, like pedophiles and such.

There is also the "obscenety" issue on which I am very sensitive.  What is
obscene anyway?  Apart from the obvious (children in sexual/nude scenes,
murder scenes, etc), I consider almost nothing as obscene.  And even there,
in a hundred years, we will not see things as we see them now, a fact that I
always try to keep in mind.  For me, the most obscene thing there is are
children in churches.  So this word is very different from a person to
another, which makes your statement even more vague.

Just my 0.02$

Terry