 Off-Topic / Debate / 19116
Re: Brick Testament in Trouble?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 18:02:36 GMT

John wrote:
Is there a right to free speech in Legoland?

What about TLC's rights?  You know, there are laws against publically speaking
lies about people-- speech really isn't "free".  You have the right not to have
your name publically impuned by someone else.  TLC has the right not to have
their trademarks (for which they paid handsomely) impuned by others.  In the
case of the BT, BPS is using a specific trademark of TLC-- it is an open and
shut case.

In the case presented by Dave! the issue isn't so clear.  A large sculpture of
purely bricks could possibly *not* be LEGO (rather a clone) and so their case
may be more tenuous.

In that case they'd probably resort to Plan B-- sue you anyway and lawyer you
to death;-)

There is a tricky situation here with respect to trademarks I think. If
I say "I have built a pornographic mosaic using LEGO bricks." I am
simply making a statement of fact. I should even be able to advertise
this fact (since it is an accurate description of what I have created,
and even a relevant part of the description). I should even be able to
say LEGO donated the bricks if they had. What I should not be able to
imply is that LEGO endorses my creation (unless they have). Of course,
because of this, TLC should be careful who they give bricks to, or at
least make a stipulation of how the trademark may be used in reference
(if TLC donates the bricks under a contract that says you can't reveal
their donation, then so long as you aren't required by law to reveal the
donor, then you should be held to that contract).

It's clear that people must be able to make statements of fact about the
brands of things they own or are selling (for example, I don't think the
DMV would accept you registering your Ford Explorer as a "SUV"). Of
course if one thinks carefully about what trademark is protecting, there
is no problem. Trademark is protecting LEGO and Ford from having other
manufacturers bill their products as LEGO or Ford. So long as it is
clear in an advertisement that the use of the trademark refers to the
companies product and doesn't try and claim something else as the
companies product, you should be fine.

Frank