 Off-Topic / Debate / 17877
Re: Freedom of Speech? W sez NO!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 03:58:38 GMT

Here's a puzzle for the Constitutionally-aware among us:  Since W was
arguably "appointed" Prez,

How so? There was an election, the results were certified, challenged in
court, and allowed to let stand.

You may not agree with all the various court decisions made by various
courts(1) but it's a bit of a stretch to say he was appointed, ne? I'd
prefer to use "not completely open/fair/free election" as the descriptor.

You zany understator!  Ignoring for a moment the question of the polling
machines (ie, modern, well-maintained machines in largely republican
districts and archaic, run-down machines in largely democratic districts)
I don't have the info in front of me, but I've read a report of the
hideously exclusionary practices re: voter eligibility put in place
preceding the election, with specific mention of the involvement of the
Florida Gov't and that of Texas.  Hardly iron-clad and conclusive, but if
right-wing demagogues are still griping about Clinton allegedly personally
transporting tons of cocaine into in Arkansas, I think the vote-fraud
allegation deserves at least some consideration!
There's also the problem that the Supreme Court ruled 100% along party
lines, with Justices Thomas and Scalia looming large in the proceedings.
Again, it's not conclusive, but it's interesting.
So the interesting SC vote, coupled with the conspicuous electoral
policies in Florida, coupled with the aggressive and thug-like tactics of
the Republicans in the days following the vote may at least give one pause.
In fairness, it would be more accurate of me to maintain simply that W
wasn't elected by the popular majority.

Oh for crying out loud.  The "popular majority" that Gore supposedly won by was
a smaller percentage than Bush won in florida, and well within the margin of
error.  Seriously, does anyone think Gore would be doing much different than
Bush right now anyway? Democrats and Republicans are two sides to the same
coin.  On the left side you have the Democrat pointing to the door in the
middle saying "In there, go you should." On the right side you have the
Republican pointing to the door in the middle saying "Go you should, in there."
Then most of the mindless American cattle run right into the Federal slaughter
house.

Not what was really funny the press reported a few months after the Florida
fiasco.  If they would have counted the way Bush wanted he would have won by a
smaller margin.  If they would have counted the way Gore wanted he would have
lost by a wider margin.  The fact that the whole election was so close is proof
that most people didn't know which idiot to pick anyway.

-Mike Petrucelli