 Off-Topic / Debate / 17861
Re: Freedom of Speech? W sez NO!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 15:51:59 GMT

Here's a puzzle for the Constitutionally-aware among us:  Since W was
arguably "appointed" Prez,

How so? There was an election, the results were certified, challenged in
court, and allowed to let stand.

You may not agree with all the various court decisions made by various
courts(1) but it's a bit of a stretch to say he was appointed, ne? I'd
prefer to use "not completely open/fair/free election" as the descriptor.

  You zany understator!  Ignoring for a moment the question of the polling
machines (ie, modern, well-maintained machines in largely republican
districts and archaic, run-down machines in largely democratic districts)
I don't have the info in front of me, but I've read a report of the
hideously exclusionary practices re: voter eligibility put in place
preceding the election, with specific mention of the involvement of the
Florida Gov't and that of Texas.  Hardly iron-clad and conclusive, but if
right-wing demagogues are still griping about Clinton allegedly personally
transporting tons of cocaine into in Arkansas, I think the vote-fraud
allegation deserves at least some consideration!
  There's also the problem that the Supreme Court ruled 100% along party
lines, with Justices Thomas and Scalia looming large in the proceedings.
Again, it's not conclusive, but it's interesting.
  So the interesting SC vote, coupled with the conspicuous electoral
policies in Florida, coupled with the aggressive and thug-like tactics of
the Republicans in the days following the vote may at least give one pause.
In fairness, it would be more accurate of me to maintain simply that W
wasn't elected by the popular majority.

rather than elected, could he run for two more
terms?  By way of counter-example, before Gore picked Lieberman, it was
speculated that Clinton might have been the running mate.  Then Gore could
step down and leave Clinton in office for another four.  This could
conceivably happen ad infintum...

wow, scary! um, well... "thanks" for sharing that.

  Woo-hoo!  Clinton/Clinton in 2002--Hillary and Bill are back again!  Now
*that* would be bread-and-circuses worth watching!

     Dave!