 Off-Topic / Debate / 17851
Re: Freedom of Speech? W sez NO!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 14:15:52 GMT

http://www.postgazette.com/nation/20020904arrest0904p3.asp

With a followup here and elsewhere:

http://www.postgazette.com/firstamendment/20020909brian0909p5.asp

I suppose that the sign-carriers can take comfort in the fact that at least
they weren't shipped to Cuba...

   Dave!

Ship 'em to Canada--we have folks who throw pies 'n stuff into the faces of
our politicians, 'specially the PM :)

Signs--baah!  I'd have put a banner across the street!  ;)

Reading thru these two articles, looks like the police chief is falling in
his sword--'it was *my* decision to corral the demonstrators into one area',
though, as the columnist pointed out, putting *all* the demonstrators into
one area would have caused exactly what he was trying to avoid--putting a
pro-Bush next to an anti-Bush person...

And isn't it amazing how the chief said of those that had nice signs--'oh 80
percent of them I know personally...' so they got to stay out there, holding
their signs.

So if you know someone, you can get away with more--just like big oil
knowing Dubya.

Things that make you go, "Hmmmm...."

Dave K