 Off-Topic / Debate / 17874
Re: Freedom of Speech? W sez NO!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 19:38:04 GMT

Here's a puzzle for the Constitutionally-aware among us:  Since W was
arguably "appointed" Prez, rather than elected, could he run for two more
terms?

"no person who has held the office of President, or acted as
President, for more that two years of a term to which some other person was
elected President shall be elected to the office of President more that
once."

  It's a trick of equivocation, I admit.  I was making a joke at the expense
of "our" "duly" "elected" "President!"

By way of counter-example, before Gore picked Lieberman, it was
speculated that Clinton might have been the running mate.  Then Gore could
step down and leave Clinton in office for another four.  This could
conceivably happen ad infintum...

I guess that's actually a loop hole.

  A big one, IMO!  I'd love to see someone try to exploit it, but that would
be as good as forfeiting the race, since it would look like something fishy
was going on.  Maybe we could ask Dave K to send a suggestion to the writers
of "West Wing."  8^)

     Dave!