 Off-Topic / Debate / 17464
Re: Durned Telemarketers!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 13:04:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, William R. Ward writes:

We don't get very many telemarketing calls at all.  Why?  We know the
magic words:
       "Put us on your do not call list."

If you say this to every telemarket who calls you, you will find that
the frequency of telemarketing drops off precipitously, to the point
where the one or two remaining that call once in a while don't bother
you much.

But if you do not say those exact words, they will keep calling.  Do
not rephrase it in any way.  "Put us on your do not call list."

  I don't wish to contradict you, but we've been saying that exact phrase in
response to the four or five nightly telemarketers for about the last three
years, and there's been no dropoff.  While I was in college I had a number
of friends who worked at a call center for a credit card company, and they
revealed that magic phrase to me at that time.  Sadly, to no avail.
I'm eager to see how the website that I mentioned works out.

Thanks for the tip, though!
     Dave!