 Off-Topic / Debate / 17465
Re: Durned Telemarketers!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 14:54:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, William R. Ward writes:

We don't get very many telemarketing calls at all.  Why?  We know the
magic words:
       "Put us on your do not call list."

If you say this to every telemarket who calls you, you will find that
the frequency of telemarketing drops off precipitously, to the point
where the one or two remaining that call once in a while don't bother
you much.

But if you do not say those exact words, they will keep calling.  Do
not rephrase it in any way.  "Put us on your do not call list."

--Bill.

My state (Colorado) just passed a "no call list"
http://www.coloradonocall.com/ where your telephone number is entered into a
database. Telemarketers are required to buy updates (I think quarterly) of
the database and are fined for each number that is called on the list.
Sanctions become quite severe very quickly. I am very thankful that this has
gone into effect. We have had no solicitations other than the exempted
non-profit or political calls since. Those are far and few between for now.

If your state doesn't have anything like this, you could always buy a
Telezapper http://www.telezapper.com/ (available from Wal-Mart). I've heard
that they work wonders. After having it hooked up for a couple of weeks,
telemarketing calls are virtually nil. Although I think it's a little raw to
have to spend $40 on a piece of equipment to protect a service that you are
already paying for.....

-Duane