 Off-Topic / Debate / 17470
Re: Durned Telemarketers!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 06:51:20 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:

My state (Colorado) just passed a "no call list"
http://www.coloradonocall.com/ where your telephone number is entered into a
database. Telemarketers are required to buy updates (I think quarterly) of
the database and are fined for each number that is called on the list.
Sanctions become quite severe very quickly. I am very thankful that this has
gone into effect. We have had no solicitations other than the exempted
non-profit or political calls since. Those are far and few between for now.

I believe our governor (Illinois) recently vetoed such a bill because it
'wasn't strong enough' and allowed too many exemptions.  I think these
state-run do not call lists (with penalties) are a good thing (and are long
overdue).  BUT, I hope that people take the time to urge their state
senators to press for an absolute do not call list - NO phone solicitations,
profit or non, political or non.  Perhaps there could be two lists - one for
people who want the non-profit and political calls, one for people who don't
want any.

...the same should go for junk mail, and enforceable spam (spam that
originates in the US)

I want all of my incoming communication to be nothing other than personal,
governmental, or non-soliciting communication from business whose services I
am currently using.

-Tim