 Off-Topic / Debate / 17471
Re: Durned Telemarketers!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 07:19:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Maggie Cambron writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:

Ok, maybe it's just another instance of how I live some weird sort of ideal
world(1), but I don't suffer from this plague.  My wife does get a few
during the day; she estimates once or twice a week, but I don't get the
"nightly torrent".  If we didn't have 2 children, our meals would be quite
peaceful and uninterupted.  I literally get more wrong numbers than I do
telemarketers.  Am I really so abnormal in only receiving 2-3 calls a week
from people selling stuff or wanting money?  What is a "nightly torrent"
anyway?

Nope, that's about what we get (and yep, it's our two kids that keep mealtime
quite lively).  I use a twist on what I learned from watching my mom deal with
Jehovah's Witnesses who came to the door when I was a kid.  She'd just matter
of factly tell them she was Buddhist.  End of subject.  We have two main
sources of the calls, and I normally just say no thanks and hang up, but when
I'm a bit testy-- with the San Francisco Chronicle I tell them ours is an
illiterate household so we have no need for the newspaper.  With the long
distance services I always said we are stockholders in our carrier, Worldcom
(we *did* once own some MCI which gave me the idea), but I guess I'll have to
think of something else now.

Long distance carriers almost never phone anymore; I suspect it's because of
my "stock answer" for them, which is "I challenge you to get me a better
long distance rate than I do right now."  This gets them all fired up into
their spiel, and I listen, waiting for the "...and how much are you spending
a month on long distance?" question.  They always seem so flabbergasted when
I say "about $0.50, on average.  Sometimes as much as a buck or two, but
most months, nothing at all.  I rarely call outside my dialing area."  They
have yet to offer me a package that pays me. :)

James