 Off-Topic / Debate / 17460
Re: Durned Telemarketers!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 23:54:11 GMT

You need to find out if your state has a law with penalties for
telemarketers who call you again after you ask to be put on their "do not
call" list.

Then, diligently keep a log of all telemarketers. Tell each one to put you
on that list. You play a game of "Concentration": when you get a second call
that matches one you've logged, jump up and down because you've won the lottery.

In New York, you can sue for $500 per incident. Learn how to file in small
claims court, or just write a letter declaring your intent to sue, and wait
for the check. This has been on the news several times with one lady who
makes thousands of dollars at it. Not a living, but, she actually looks
forward to the phone ringing now.

Myself, I fixed the problem by using all of the opt-out lists available,
including calling the phone companies' nuisance line after one nightmarish
encounter. Which made a difference after about 2 months.

Finally, I disconnected entirely and got a cell phone, but by then the calls
weren't really a nuisance anymore.

Stop giving your phone number at TRU or give a cell phone at department stores.

If it gives you a momentary thrill, also return all "postage paid" reply
envelopes with nothing or shredded paper inside.