 Off-Topic / Debate / *1416 (-20)
  Natural born killers? (was Re: Free speech and abuse thereof

John Neal wrote: 1) The system will only work if people are (...) While I concede that a lof of people believe this to be true, it isn't. The vast majority of people ARE hard working decent honest caring beings. One of the most pernicious things (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Free speech and abuse thereof

Larry Pieniazek wrote: <snip> (...) Well, if I may jump in here and say that, in theory Lar and the LP may make things *logically* clearer, but even in the best of systems you still have the same, nagging problem: 1) The system will only work if (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What is insurance? (was Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) The politicians they own cast votes on their behalf all the time - much more often than on the behalf of the people who elect them. (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) [snip] (...) As a former teacher, two of the biggest problems with today's schools are: 1. lack of funding - classrooms are overcrowded, teacher salaries over the last 30 years have actually decreased (differnce of 1960's salary times (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  What is insurance? (was Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) No, you cannot have your cake and eat it too. That violates causality. No, you cannot make two opposing/conflicting arguments at the same time. That violates logic. That's what you're trying to do. So you cannot have it both ways. (...) (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Saw it. (...) Please explain why this is a good thing and not the inmates running the asylum. Please justify how burning down the administration building is a good way to send the message that the school is not delivering appropriate classes, (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Actually, you can, and it was the intent of the original program - to assist those with no income and to assist those who are underemployeed. (...) [snip] (...) Well, actually, he has to pay unemployment insurance (which is part of his taxes). (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: federalist ISBN (was Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Yeah, I could do that too, but lately, with wrist and elbow pains setting in, I've decided I should spend less time reading in front of the computer and more time reading in my recliner. I'll be happy when portable e-books become commonplace, (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) See my reply to Weeks. (...) were (...) Again read my reply to Weeks. (...) Construction workers are employed by construction companies. Those companies have winter layoffs. Those employees, having worked 6 months or more, are entitled to (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) You're stretching here, you know. This notion that you paid in advance for food stamps and therefore are entitled to get them kind of runs counter to the notion that the needy deserve help whether they paid for it or not. You can't have it (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Christopher L. Weeks wrote in message <3783B529.73A74C27@c...ri.edu>... (...) against (...) were (...) Groovy! <silly debate snipped> (...) Chris, I tend to agree with you more often than with Ed "Boxer" Jones, but if you would advocate the above, I (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) were (...) Why, because we had the nerve to see that things were wrong and fought to right them? Or because your generation has done absolutely nothing but reap the goods for nothing. (...) In the 60s you didn't have to hire anyone. You could (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Free speech and abuse thereof

(...) Tough question, and one to which I freely admit that I don't have the answer. Libertopia may not do any better than we do at this one. I know it hardly can do any worse. (1) Seems to me that reckless endangerment is one of the common law (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) So did I, although you have some seniority on me, the 70's were my decade of activism. (...) Good causes. I was prepared to resist Vietnam if it had dragged on much longer. What a useless little war. A waste of national treasure, and human (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Free speech and abuse thereof

(...) I don't exactly either, I included some pretty heavy caveats when I first said the S word. When it first came up, it was about parents who're "criminally" negligent. What do you think ought to happen to them? People will remain psychologically (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: federalist ISBN (was Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999 03:30:06 GMT, Mike Stanley uttered the following profundities... (...) I have downloaded that, the constitution, BoR, DoI, from Project Gutenburg. (25 years ago, 7-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Free speech and abuse thereof

(...) No society can ever be perfect. The following are pat answers and none of them completely solves the problem. Some of them won't work without some other societal restructuring. - Despite the image of the quiet, secret rebel who suddenly snaps, (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) The 60s is the decade that invented the socially-acceptable slacker as far as I can tell. I get so sick of you people ranting insanely about how grand those times were. How exactly did you and yours fight for those things? Equal rights - I (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Free speech and abuse thereof

(...) I wasn't placing blame on the LP (hm, same initials as Larry's, any coincidence?). I was asking how in Liberatopia, this situation would be dealt with. Note that Liberatopia has few, if any, gun control laws. (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I grew up during the 60s - remember the era that fought for equal rights, fought against the war in Vietnam, fought for student rights, fought against oppression of the poor by the rich, fought to get assistance to those who were in need. You (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact