 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 824
Re: Mega-Bloks (Ritvik) is watching
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 00:36:47 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Tim Courtney writes:

True, but the situation is akin to say the Lionel vs American Flyer trains
of the 50s and 60s.  Some were pure to one brand, others mixed, etc.  I'm
pure to one brand, because I grew up with it, and the quality of plastics is
better, and they were the original.

Being both a avid AFOL and a O gauge collector and operater (notice O gauge,
not Lionel) I will agree to a point.  Yes, until the late 1980s, Lionel
dominated the market irrgardless of what the others were producing, then
along came some of the modern day companies, such a Right of Way, Weaver and
MTH.  MTH entered the market under the same circumstances as MB is now.
From a collectors stand point, it truely hurt my Lionel collection.  No
longer could I sell that 746 Class J for $1400+ when someone could get that
MTH J for a little of nothing.  From an operators stand point, I welcomed it
because now I could get those Dash 8s and MAC 90s (Which I will say Lionel
is coming out with a rather sweet one in CP colors for 2001) in CSX and NS
colors that I always wanted, at a decent price, and I wasnt afraid to take
it out of the box and throw a load behind it.  Or, consider this, until
Right of Way industries made an articulated steam locomotive, Lionel never
tendered the thought of producing one.  Now Lionel has 8 coming out in 2001,
not to mention what has already been produced so far. (my long awaited N&W
Class A :o)

Look at the latest catalouge.  What would you say is "juniorised" in it.  I
know I wouldnt spend $1800 for the JLC 4-6-6-4 Challenger to watch my
children launch it off a ramp to see how high it could get. (Ok, thats a
little far fetched) But end of story is, someone at Lionel woke up and
realized that there were in fact adult collectors and operators, and took
the demands of such into consideration.

OK, back to subject....from an AFOL stand point, TLG may very well take a
step back, hopefully to the sets of the 80s and EARLY 90s, so that they will
move foward again.

Food for thought.

Rodney Gentry Jr

Lugnet Member #266