 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 808
Re: Mega-Bloks (Ritvik) is watching
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 02:16:23 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Peter White writes:
They are all just building blocks, a medium for creativity.

True, but the situation is akin to say the Lionel vs American Flyer trains
of the 50s and 60s.  Some were pure to one brand, others mixed, etc.  I'm
pure to one brand, because I grew up with it, and the quality of plastics is
better, and they were the original.

Some companies 'juniorise' their products and cop flak for it.
Other companies have sets made out of lots of basic elements, yet don't get
praised for it.

Yep, it doesn't make sense, does it?  Its the way it is, though.  The only
thing I'd praise a clone brand for would be giving LEGO a run for its money,
so that in turn LEGO is forced to improve.

I will continue to buy whatever building blocks serve my purposes and budget,
however annoying it is to have to pay to ship a box 75% full of Danish air
half way around the world.

MB Aircraft Carrier, not much Canadian air in there, go on Tim, just pick one
up and feel the weight ;^)

I think I have picked one up, and I had to stoop to do it, because it was on
the bottom shelf. ;-)  But no, I haven't purchased it, and nor will I,
because I despise the brand and am a LEGO purist.  But, I will examine one
if I ever run into one someone else owns, for the sake of understanding
LEGO's competition better.  I may not be making sense, but that's the way it
is with me.  I'd prefer to (myself) improve LEGO by working for LEGO or
influencing employees of LEGO I know, than by adding weight to their
competitors.

-Tim