 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 818
Re: Mega-Bloks (Ritvik) is watching
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 13:53:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Here's a question... Why should Ritvik make what we want just to be a foil
for LEGO? Wouldn't it be in Ritvik's interest to make stuff that we actually
would buy? If we're not going to buy it, why should they bother?

Something to think about.

++Lar

Larry,

You've got a great point. Fortunately for MB, not every AFOL has to buy for
them to do well. The Lego purists can be written off, but the kvetchers are
good candidates for potential buyers. The great thing about competition is
that it multiplies the incentives and opportunities for everyone to get what
they want. I think we'd *all* be better off if MB improved brick quality and
TLC found a way to make money while improving set design. Based on what Dave
Schuler says, MB brick quality is improving and, based on what you have been
sharing with us after your meetings with TLC representatives, I am also
optimistic about TLC set design in the near future.

BTW, thanks for being one to lead the charge on diminishing the TLC-bashing.
I think TLC is doing a smart thing by "leaking" to people like you so they
can act as intermediaries.