 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 807
Re: Mega-Bloks (Ritvik) is watching
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 00:43:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Santosh Bhat writes:

So we should welcome them into
this discussion group, but of course bearing in mind that they are a brand
other than Lego.

I would only welcome them into this discussion group (LUGNET, outside of
O-T.clone..that's what its for - note the off topic) if they are challenging
LEGO to make better products.  I think LEGO needs the heat turned up on them
for some things, and they need to understand that someone else is making
what people want to see LEGO make.  They need to realize there's a potential
threat to their marketshare, not to other types of toys but to a competitor
in the construction toy business.

The best way to turn up the heat is to actually purchase the products and to
truthfully review them. Competition is healthy.

Still, I will personally not stoop to the level of buying MegaBloks.  And,
at every turn, I'll fight the 'they're all lay-gohz' sentiment a lot of
consumers have.

They are all just building blocks, a medium for creativity.
Some companies 'juniorise' their products and cop flak for it.
Other companies have sets made out of lots of basic elements, yet don't get
praised for it.
I will continue to buy whatever building blocks serve my purposes and budget,
however annoying it is to have to pay to ship a box 75% full of Danish air
half way around the world.

MB Aircraft Carrier, not much Canadian air in there, go on Tim, just pick one
up and feel the weight ;^)

pete.w