 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 814
Re: Mega-Bloks (Ritvik) is watching
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 05:23:19 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Tim Courtney writes:

I'd prefer to (myself) improve LEGO by working for LEGO or influencing
employees of LEGO I know, than by adding weight to their competitors.

Ah, Tim--ever the rabid purist!  What are you going to do when MegaBloks buys out LEGO and turns the original into a clone of itself? 8^)

I'm convinced if LEGO stays true to the system of play, that won't happen. :-)

Your purism (though fanatical) is admirable, but you must recognize that,
given LEGO's habit of producing "what the public wants" regardless of what the
public wants, the best way to influence the company may be by adding commercial weight to their competitors.

Yes, I recognize that.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, since you and I have crossed ABS and PVC
swords before, but even if they're not "all lay-goes," they *are* all
construction bricks, and for many people that's sufficient.

Yep, I understand as well.  For some, that's sufficient, like my best
friend's parents who stretch their income between 5 kids, the youngest
getting into the blocks, and buys MB because they're cheaper and have a
higher piece count.  She's the 'they're all lay-gohz' person.  For me,
however, it isn't sufficient.  If LEGO falls by the wayside, I'll buy old LEGO.

-Tim