 Marketplace / Theory / 93
Re: Where have all the bidders gone?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 14:14:05 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message ...
In lugnet.market.theory, Bill Katz writes:
I just launched an auction this week, and it appears all of the bidders
have left r.t.l. (and lugnet).  It took 3 days to get an opening bid
on a Guarded Inn, and I still have only 10 people watching, and half
of those are likely just to be watchers.  Has the traditional r.t.l.
auction become obsolete?

   Maybe everybody who wants a Guarded Inn has one??

Excuse my ramblings, but I'd be interested in hearing others
thoughts on the matters.
[...]

Nah, I think it's just a slow time of the year for this sort of thing.

   I agree with Todd, it is (or was when you posted this) a bad time.  End
of school, Memorial Day, etc.  eBay's prices haven't been so great either.

- It's the second half of the first month in which really, really nice
weather

   It was beautiful, now its too damn hot, but I digress.

has arrived (in most of the U.S., at least).
- This week and next week are popular weeks for vacations in the U.S., due • to
Memorial Day.
- Many people have just spent their monthly LEGO allowances on the new • George
Lucas movie and related LEGO toys.

So I'd say, give people a bit more time (like 2-3 more weeks) to recover • from
Spring and Star Wars fever, and because of that, don't close the auction • too
soon.

  Maybe, but maybe summer isn't the best time for Lego.  I remember as a kid
(and today to some extent) buying Lego in January (guess why), receiving it
in December and playing all winter and spring, and on rainy days in the
summer.  Probably is wise to let the auction run a little slower during a
period such as this, and warm weather may hurt eBay sales more than your
own, since you don't have that annoying fixed ending.

   Another thing I thought of, is the lack of RTL auctions recently, and the
overwhelming number of posts about those nefarious Star Wars Legos.  Perhaps
regular readers have gotten turned off of RTL for both reasons, and scan
eBay (which has been the best place to find stuff in recent months) instead.
Hopefully those people will come back and begin participating in RTL
auctions (if anyone has the balls to hold more) again.  I must say I enjoyed
those old style auctions - getting to know other Lego nuts.  A lot of people
on eBay have no knowledge or fondness of Lego, they are just sellers, toy
dealers.  Not me or Mike Stanley though.

   Another thing, there seem to be a whole lot of auction sites now.  Maybe
people are trying to keep their eyes on so many auctions that they look over
the best ones!  To me, it was easier to read through my email and bid on
stuff, than to surf to various bookmarks, register and bid on different
things all over the place.  If you decide to sell via a web based auction, I
hope you choose one that is already fairly popular, like Serious Collector
or eBay.  Don't go to Amazon or Yahoo, I like being able to look at those
once a month and verify that nothing has been there that interested me.  If
people start putting stuff on those, I will go nuts trying to keep up with
so many different auctions.  When Mookie had an auction on Yahoo, I missed
the "end" and got outbid near it.  If I am going to be sniped, let it happen
at a place where I will at least be keeping tabs on whats going on.

   Lastly, the prices on RTL auctions have not been as high as eBay (in the
past year, by and large), and the eBay bidders have raised the values (on
eBay).  It doesn't mean that regular RTLers are even competing with those
bidders.  So maybe its a different, higher paying audience, and the RTL
people still hold the same value for sets that they did before prices got so
crazy on eBay.  With that in mind, Bill, to answer your question of loose
value for 6067 and 6080.  6067 has sold repeatedly recently on eBay for $300
plus.  On RTL, in the past year, not very recently, it has sold a few times
between $150 and $250.  For 6080, it sells on eBay frequently between $100
and $140.  On RTL, when it was commonly available, between $80 and $120.  I
don't keep records of every auction, but have a decent memory and I am sure
there is a person out there who can verify these numbers to be fairly
accurate.

--

   Have fun!

John ( ig88888888@stlnet.com ) remove NOSPAM:
John's Lego Web Trade Page:
http://www114.pair.com/ig88/lego/index.htm
MOC,CA[cl,bf,cr,fm,bk+++ wp,dm,rk,df++ fk-]++++(6035)
SW,TR,old(456)+++ TO++ PI,SP+ DU--
#+++++ S LS¼ Hy? M+ A+++ LM-- IC12m