 Marketplace / Theory / 95
Re: Where have all the bidders gone?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 14:45:49 GMT

   I think I am enjoying catching up on this thread too much.  Its brought
up a lot of interesting "theory" though.

Ed Jones wrote in message ...
In lugnet.market.theory, Bill Katz writes:
I just launched an auction this week, and it appears all of the bidders
have left r.t.l. (and lugnet).  It took 3 days to get an opening bid
on a Guarded Inn, and I still have only 10 people watching, and half
of those are likely just to be watchers.  Has the traditional r.t.l.
auction become obsolete?  Parts only?  I really like running my own
auctions.  There's fun in watching the bidding, the occasional
programming to keep things running smoothly (although never quite
as smooth as Todd's :-) ).  I like building up a rapport with
people.  Am I going to be forced to eBay to get a decent price?

IMO, its a glut of auctions.  Far too many to even check out, let alone • keep
track of what I'm bidding on.

   Way too many.  Which is probably why I check out eBay first - since it
has the greatest selection.   Whenever I go to the SeriousCollector, I am
very impressed by it and the selection, but have difficulty adapting to the
differences.

Also, with Baylit, I can buy parts directly at a fixed price.  The prices • on
some items may be slightly more than I might have gotten through an • auction,
but the service is excellent, I can get the exact number of parts that I • want,
and I don't have to fight for them in a bidding war.

   Another reason I use eBay.  I am very close to complete with the Lego
stuff I am collecting, and I am willing to pay a very good price for what I
lack.  If something I want turns up when I click my bookmark that searches
specifically for what I want on eBay, I am going to be sure and get the set,
regardless of price.  Spending a minute or two a day looking is pretty easy,
but searching each auction site and the various newsgroups takes too much
time.  I am willing to pay more to save time.  I don't really see it as a
bidding war either, I just decide what insane amount I will pay for an item
and bid it, then not worry about it - what will be will be.  Unfortunately,
I miss some of those things I want, because I don't have time to look
everywhere.

   I liked Baylit when I first saw it, I really liked the online store idea
as opposed to an auction (very convenient and time saving), but like all the
other new sites that popped up at that time, I have not been able to go back
and keep up with it.  I remember he was sold out of the one thing I really
wanted!  I also like the Vault, but I wish Matt could let people know when
it has been updated.
--

   Have fun!

John ( ig88888888@stlnet.com ) remove NOSPAM:
John's Lego Web Trade Page:
http://www114.pair.com/ig88/lego/index.htm
MOC,CA[cl,bf,cr,fm,bk+++ wp,dm,rk,df++ fk-]++++(6035)
SW,TR,old(456)+++ TO++ PI,SP+ DU--
#+++++ S LS¼ Hy? M+ A+++ LM-- IC12m