 Marketplace / Theory / 72
Re: Where have all the bidders gone?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 31 May 1999 03:13:09 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote:

dkrenz <dkrenz@mc.net> wrote:

Ok, this should explain why I need a "dummy" book.....I searched for "perl" and
only looked at the "top results", I didn't scroll down the page looking for the
specific book I wanted. (I guess that's what happens when I spend the day
scouring for Lego. I went to that TRU that had the  silver buckets for $7.97,
but decided against them. I have quite a bit of bulk bricks sitting around that
didn't sell during my last sale.)

I wish I could find them around here still, although to be fair I
probably bought more than my share when they were in stock.

I did read the reviews on "Learning Perl second edition", talk about totally
opposite opinions!

Didn't read those, but since I already have the book, I might as well.
:)

A few months ago we asked everysoft if the program would work on our site that
we get free from our ISP, they said it should, if..... ( I don't remember the
if part!)

Well, the main thing would be if your ISP gave you the ability to run
custom CGI stuff, which, in my experience, is fairly rare for just a
standard "free website with your dial-up acct" type ISP.

I came across a website http://www.hypermart.net/ while reading the everyauction
support board. Someone suggested it as a "free site" that would be able to run the
program. It's free as long as you agree to display the advertisers banners(fine with
me)
If you didn't want to display the banners I think it was an annual charge of $89.
Here's a few features "HyperMart provides you with lots of space: 10 megabytes, to
be exact. We also  offer CGI access from anywhere on your account, with access to
Perl 4 and 5.
You get unlimited Web site traffic, auto-responders, mail forwarding, access to
the latest FrontPage extensions...and much more."

I never made it to the book store today. As much as I want to sit down and get this
figured out NOW, I've got 3 little guys running around  keeping me from
concentrating on anything for longer that 10 min at a time.  I'm going to try to let
determination  win out over exhaustion on learing this.

Julie

I think I'll head to the book stores tomorrow to see if any of them carry it.

Amazon.com has it for $17.99, $12 off cover price.  Don't know about
the bookstores where you live, but the best price I could get on that
locally would probably be $20.99 + tax, and that's if I asked my
friend who gets 30% off at Barnes & Noble to get it for me.  I order
all of my computer books online, normally through Bookpool, but in
this case Amazon has the book for less.

I've got EveryAuction installed on my box at home now.  Will work on
getting some of the add-ons installed over the next few days, then I
might ask people to help me test it out.  If I can get it working I'll
let other people post their stuff on it as long as the bandwidth
situation works out.

--
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide