 Marketplace / Theory / 74
Re: Where have all the bidders gone?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 17:39:28 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Bill Katz writes:
I just launched an auction this week, and it appears all of the bidders
have left r.t.l. (and lugnet).  It took 3 days to get an opening bid
on a Guarded Inn, and I still have only 10 people watching, and half
of those are likely just to be watchers.  Has the traditional r.t.l.
auction become obsolete?  Parts only?  I really like running my own
auctions.  There's fun in watching the bidding, the occasional
programming to keep things running smoothly (although never quite
as smooth as Todd's :-) ).  I like building up a rapport with
people.  Am I going to be forced to eBay to get a decent price?

IMO, its a glut of auctions.  Far too many to even check out, let alone keep
track of what I'm bidding on.

Also, with Baylit, I can buy parts directly at a fixed price.  The prices on
some items may be slightly more than I might have gotten through an auction,
but the service is excellent, I can get the exact number of parts that I want,
and I don't have to fight for them in a bidding war.