 Marketplace / Theory / 92
Re: Sets vs. Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 13:28:03 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Frank Filz writes:
Bill Katz wrote in message ...
I've recently bought a huge collection (600+ sets, 100,000+ parts), and

   Hey, by the 10 cents per piece rule, thats... a lot.

I'm planning to sell 90+% of it off.  I'm curious about people's opinions
of how old a set has to be in order for it to be worth more as a
whole set than as parts.  As Todd has proven time and again, you can
make money (if you don't value your time :-), maybe if you do)
breaking up relatively recent sets, bought either at full retail
or 20-50% off.  We've also seen realatively small 10 year old
sets sell for $2-$4/piece (6011, 6023) as sets.

   In the case of 6011 and 6023, which sell for high prices as sets, they
would do nearly as well, possibly better, broken down.  I think a record
price for 6023 was $175 (with others close to that) but I have heard rumors
of the infamous white hat alone selling for $50 plus.  The instructions
aren't cheap, either, so to sell the pieces seperately, you might do just as
well, or worse, or better.  You never know, but I think you yourself have
sold female figures for seemingly very high prices.  One thing I have
thought of, is if a set is not complete, then just sell the pieces that are
there, but if it is complete, sell as a set.
   Just so you know, I usually (not always) buy by the set (or just lots of
pieces... and sometimes lots of sets) and rarely buy a particular piece
alone.  Of course not everyone has the same spending habits, and many don't
enjoy eBay as much as I (where 6 knights can sell for more than a complete
6062, or 6 Forestmen can sell for more than a complete 6066 - obviously I
would rather have the 6062 or the 6066 than just the mini-figs).
Some joker is very helpful...
Tom McDonald wrote in message ...
<many wise words snipped>
If accumulated profit is not the prime motivator, but rather the study of • how
to make more (which is often worth $ in and of itself), perhaps your • auction
doesn't have to be entirely one way or the other. Sell half as sets as half • as
parts. Lots will be more manageable, and you can track whether sets or • parts go
faster and which command more $. You'll get good info that some of us can • only
speculate about.

   Either way you do it, its a lot of work.  So starting off, find out what
methods work best for you.  Try a little of this, a little of that, not with
profits as the prime motivator (at first, anyway - as stated in the
beginning, you've got... a lot) but with learning (which is invaluable).
Learn which methods will bring the greatest profit, yet be the least
work/time consuming.  I am sure before you are even half way done with your
goal (selling 90% of this huge lot) you will have a good idea of what works
best for you.

The other reason to consider selling much of the collection as sets, is • look
at Todd's reflections on parts auction sizes. Granted, you may not be • doing
continual parts auctions like Todd, but it sounds like there's an • incredible
effort to run a parts auction for huge numbers of pieces, and he's had
several years of practice.

   Its a lot of work no matter how you slice it, but it seems to me the more
lots there are, the more organization is needed.  I personally don't have
that organizational skill (ask anyone), but Todd certainly seems to.  If you
have that skill, or can acquire it quickly by trial and error it may not be
as difficult/tedious as it seems.  I mean, Todd does that very well, and
runs this website (I find it hard to believe sometimes) and does both
amazingly well, somehow.

That's one reason I haven't dived headlong into this further. The other • being
the lack of good sales fodder and good garage sales around here.

   Tom, please!  I am afraid Lugnet would be so bland if you were so busy
with all this stuff.

-Tom McD.
when replying, don't speculate on spamcake futures.

I shan't.  Or did I just do so??

--

   Have fun!

John ( ig88888888@stlnet.com ) remove NOSPAM:
John's Lego Web Trade Page:
http://www114.pair.com/ig88/lego/index.htm
MOC,CA[cl,bf,cr,fm,bk+++ wp,dm,rk,df++ fk-]++++(6035)
SW,TR,old(456)+++ TO++ PI,SP+ DU--
#+++++ S LS¼ Hy? M+ A+++ LM-- IC12m