 Marketplace / Theory / 99
Re: Sets vs. Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 18:31:56 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, John DiRienzo writes:

  In the case of 6011 and 6023, which sell for high prices as sets, they
would do nearly as well, possibly better, broken down.  I think a record
price for 6023 was $175 (with others close to that) but I have heard rumors
of the infamous white hat alone selling for $50 plus.

Ouch! That certainly wasn't me, and I'd be willing to bet a red 2x4 it wasn't
Mike Stanley either ;)

  Its a lot of work no matter how you slice it, but it seems to me the more
lots there are, the more organization is needed.  I personally don't have
that organizational skill (ask anyone), but Todd certainly seems to.  If you
have that skill, or can acquire it quickly by trial and error it may not be
as difficult/tedious as it seems.  I mean, Todd does that very well, and
runs this website (I find it hard to believe sometimes) and does both
amazingly well, somehow.

Yes, Todd has an amazing patience and thought-out methodology. One concern of
mine is that I'll finally get to meet the Lehman's and they'll be
super-boring. I doubt it, but it makes for stupid daydreaming.

The /inv part of lugnet is very cool for verifying completeness. I need to
contribute as I get new sets.

Not that I'm implying you did, but don't underestimate the process of verifying
a set's completeness, vs doing a parts auction, especially when it comes to
300-400 (or more) piece sets. I'd hate to have to go through and verify a 4559
Cargo Railway for completeness (somehow I wouldn't mind doing it as much for a
Metroliner though :) - it's 710 pcs.

That's one reason I haven't dived headlong into this further. The other • being
the lack of good sales fodder and good garage sales around here.

To clarify: I meant around my house :)

  Tom, please!  I am afraid Lugnet would be so bland if you were so busy
with all this stuff.

Thanks, that's quite a compliment. But Sproaticus and James Brown (no, not that
one, the other one) are both very funny. I didn't mention John Neal's name here
because he's almost funny and that's not the same. ;)

(If I didn't mention your name in that list, it's probably because I don't
think you're funny and that you need a wit-transplant. But the real reason
might be that you have way more lego bricks than me because you spend more time
doing that stuff :)

-Tom McD.
when replying,