 Marketplace / Theory / 83
Re: Sets vs. Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 15:20:33 GMT

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999 23:45:18 GMT, billk@wald.wald-kramer.com (Bill Katz)
wrote:

I've recently bought a huge collection (600+ sets, 100,000+ parts), and
I'm planning to sell 90+% of it off.  I'm curious about people's opinions
of how old a set has to be in order for it to be worth more as a
whole set than as parts.  As Todd has proven time and again, you can
make money (if you don't value your time :-), maybe if you do)
breaking up relatively recent sets, bought either at full retail
or 20-50% off.  We've also seen realatively small 10 year old
sets sell for $2-$4/piece (6011, 6023) as sets.

These sets are all mixed together.  And since many are buckets, window
packas and roof packs I'm going to have to have some big parts auctions
anyway.  Is it going to be beneficial to sort out all the sets, or
do the equivalent of "breaking up" older sets and selling them as parts.

As an example, there are ~10 copies of 6265 Sabre Island.  WIll I do better
auctioning the white walls and blue guards, or making up the sets?  Or
some of each to appeal to both the builders and set collectors?

I'd guess that used LEGO gets a higher price when sold as a set, rather
than being sold for parts.  Especially if the instructions are included.
But I'm sure there are many exceptions to this generalization.

I'd say the problem of sorting makes it more attractive to sell the stuff
for parts, but you'd have to sort out the parts anyway.  Once you've done
that, sorting into sets is much easier.

Steve