 Marketplace / Theory / 63
  Where have all the bidders gone?

I just launched an auction this week, and it appears all of the bidders have left r.t.l. (and lugnet). It took 3 days to get an opening bid on a Guarded Inn, and I still have only 10 people watching, and half of those are likely just to be watchers. (...) (25 years ago, 29-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Where have all the bidders gone?

(...) Nah, I think it's just a slow time of the year for this sort of thing. - It's the second half of the first month in which really, really nice weather has arrived (in most of the U.S., at least). - This week and next week are popular weeks for (...) (25 years ago, 29-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Where have all the bidders gone?

(...) Well, I figured I would check in on the 6067, the only set I'm really interested in, in a few days or a week, see how the bidding had progressed. If it had hit ridiculous levels I could then forget about it, but if it were still reasonable I (...) (25 years ago, 29-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Where have all the bidders gone?

Put them on SeriousCollector would be my vote. I think the Demlow technology is last year's news. Too hard to use. People like web based stuff. That should NOT be taken as a slam of the work the Demlow brothers have put into it, or of your work, (...) (25 years ago, 29-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Where have all the bidders gone?

(...) Not to take ANY credit for how EveryAuction works, because someone else wrote it ((URL) but it works just about the same as eBay (with a couple of free add-ons) and it is *free*. Bill certainly has the know-how to get EA up and running. Hell, (...) (25 years ago, 29-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Where have all the bidders gone?

(...) Mike, you give me hope! Although, until "Perl for Dummies" comes out, I'll have to stick with running parts sales. Julie (25 years ago, 30-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Where have all the bidders gone?

(...) Actually, Perl for Dummies IS out. :) (breaking the line) (URL) the reader reviews at Amazon sound positive (all 5 *'s) too. I haven't read this (the only Dummies book I ever tried to read seemed like it was written by and for a dummy). I do (...) (25 years ago, 30-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Where have all the bidders gone?

Ok, this should explain why I need a "dummy" book.....I searched for "perl" and only looked at the "top results", I didn't scroll down the page looking for the specific book I wanted. (I guess that's what happens when I spend the day scouring for (...) (25 years ago, 30-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Where have all the bidders gone?

(...) I wish I could find them around here still, although to be fair I probably bought more than my share when they were in stock. (...) Didn't read those, but since I already have the book, I might as well. :) (...) Well, the main thing would be (...) (25 years ago, 30-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Where have all the bidders gone?

(...) I came across a website (URL) while reading the everyauction support board. Someone suggested it as a "free site" that would be able to run the program. It's free as long as you agree to display the advertisers banners(fine with me) If you (...) (25 years ago, 31-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Where have all the bidders gone?

(...) IMO, its a glut of auctions. Far too many to even check out, let alone keep track of what I'm bidding on. Also, with Baylit, I can buy parts directly at a fixed price. The prices on some items may be slightly more than I might have gotten (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jun-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Where have all the bidders gone?

Larry Pieniazek (lar@voyager.net) wrote: : Put them on SeriousCollector would be my vote. I think the Demlow : technology is last year's news. Too hard to use. People like web based : stuff. : That should NOT be taken as a slam of the work the (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jun-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Where have all the bidders gone?

(...) Well, I checked this out, and it's legit. In fact, I have EveryAuction up and running with more functionality on Hypermart now than on my own Linux box. For the time being, and probably for the indefinite future, I'm going to keep doing my own (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jun-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Where have all the bidders gone?

(...) EveryAuction notifies bidders by e-mail when they are outbid. And yeah, I think web-based is the way to go. I know it is for me. (...) Well, I have to hack away at the script with vi, does that count? :) (...) Sure does. And there are a TON of (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jun-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Where have all the bidders gone?

Mike Stanley (cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com) wrote: : Bill Katz <billk@wald.wald-kramer.com> wrote: : >Larry Pieniazek (lar@voyager.net) wrote: : >: Put them on SeriousCollector would be my vote. I think the Demlow : >: technology is last year's news. Too (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jun-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Where have all the bidders gone?

(...) Not a lot, to be sure, which is a good thing since I am still in the first half of Learning Perl. :) Moslty incorporating add-ons and stuff. 90% of them I just paste in the way the author says. Others that require add-ons I don't use I have (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jun-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Where have all the bidders gone?

(...) Really? I have just the opposite opinion. I will use AucZILLA's web interface to scan for pieces I'm interested in, but then I will use the e-mail interface to watch & bid on those items. The only way I'd use a web-based bidding interface (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jun-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Where have all the bidders gone?

(...) I TOTALLY agree. In fact, once I learn more about Perl I will try (and probably fail) to implement the type of multi-bidding interface. I don't think it has already been done, but I will search the EA forums and see. Bidding on single items (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jun-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

Todd Lehman wrote in message ... (...) Maybe everybody who wants a Guarded Inn has one?? (...) I agree with Todd, it is (or was when you posted this) a bad time. End of school, Memorial Day, etc. eBay's prices haven't been so great either. (...) (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jun-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

Steve Bliss wrote in message <375402c0.328535027@...et.com>... (...) Yah, I always prefer bidding by email, but haven't had much chance to do it lately! (...) eBay shows you everything you have bid on, and where its at at present. And there are some (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jun-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

I think I am enjoying catching up on this thread too much. Its brought up a lot of interesting "theory" though. Ed Jones wrote in message ... (...) keep (...) Way too many. Which is probably why I check out eBay first - since it has the greatest (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jun-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Where have all the bidders gone?

(...) Ahem, ahem, me neither ;-) I've got 3 boys and myself who are very fond of Lego (and it seems like my knowledge increases daily). Putting stuff up on eBay as well as having occasional sales helps finance our habit. But, yeah, you're right, (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jun-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

dkrenz wrote in message <376306A5.7B2B870@mc.net>... (...) the (...) Perhaps (...) instead. (...) enjoyed (...) people (...) Since I have yet to see your auctions (thanks to the new and improved eBay) can you forgive my oversight?? (...) Like my (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jun-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Where have all the bidders gone?

(...) Sure, if you get the e-mail on time! (Going back to fixed-time auctions and eBay service rants...) (...) Those programs are useful, but they are a bandaid on a bad wound. Steve (25 years ago, 14-Jun-99, to lugnet.market.theory)