 Marketplace / Theory / 2404
Re: Poor Service to Toy Shops = No Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 04:13:47 GMT

r2 wrote:

I went by our local (favorite) toy store yesterday. They have always carried
a great selection of Lego and generally carried some shop at home only sets.
There was NO LEGO. They had dropped all Lego from their store!

I asked them why, didn't the Lego sell? No, the Lego sold very well but
their ordering service was TERRIBLE. They constantly had orders canceled, so
they would have to continually reorder (the same orders that had been
canceled). Orders were erratically filled and it was too difficult to deal
with Lego the company.

This got me thinking. Is it actually worth it to a large company like
TLC to deal with small stores? On the surface, it would seem that the
ROI is much higher selling to the large chains. So the question is what
benefit does TLC get out of smaller stores? I'm not sure that they need
them any more to build the brand identity. I think most folks know that
LEGO is a quality toy, though I suppose if they disappear from the
specialty toy stores, that view might change.

As a consumer, I know I have spent almost none of my money in the small
stores (ok, when I started collecting, I did, but that was to buy Pirate
sets which were no longer available in the big chains). But these days,
most of my money is spent on sales, which I would not expect small
retailers to generally have (though perhaps some should, it must be
pretty costly for them to have 25% or more of their shelf space filled
with product which isn't selling).

One place where I could see a value to the small store is selling
trains. I suspect LEGO trains would sell a lot better in a store
specializing in model trains than at Wal-Mart. Of course this would
require that the whole train line be available.

FUT: lugnet.market.theory

Frank