 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4560
Re: Poor Service to Toy Shops = No Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 02:01:14 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Matthew Teets writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Rose Regner writes:
I went by our local (favorite) toy store yesterday. They have always carried
a great selection of Lego and generally carried some shop at home only sets.
There was NO LEGO. They had dropped all Lego from their store!

I asked them why, didn't the Lego sell? No, the Lego sold very well but
their ordering service was TERRIBLE. They constantly had orders canceled, so
they would have to continually reorder (the same orders that had been
canceled). Orders were erratically filled and it was too difficult to deal
with Lego the company.

<<<SNIP>>>

You know, I have heard the same thing from a bunch of independent toy
stores.  Most independent toy stores in my area don't carry Lego, it's just
too difficult.  It's a real shame, most of them have converted to
playmobil/rokenbok/mega-bloks (although most aren't impressed by mega-bloks,
but I consider rokenbok and playmobil to be on the same level as Lego
quality wise)  I have to admit, for a company that has worked so hard on
their web page, they really need to go back and see how they can serve the
independent and small retailers better.  TRU and the other chains are
interested in one-thing: margin per square inch of shelf space.  Independent
retailers concentrate on their customers and a lot of times the educational
values of their customers.  I don't think Lego can survive without their
support.  I'd love to here someone from Lego give some feedback as far as
what they are doing.  If Lego thinks they are penetrating the market just
great, then let me know and I'll give you my five nearest independent toy
stores: none which carry Lego (but would love to)

Matt

YES!! The Lego company is sooooo hard to work with. i have a friend back
east that goes thru the same things as so very well stated above. But also,
they are just hard to work with period. There was a post a while back that
Lego was somewhat dissapointed in their sales and were either thinking about
or going to open retail Lego stores across the country.... hello??? I have a
GREAT idea - loosen the reins on small, independant toy stores AS WELL as
internet sellers. This would get Lego out there in a much greater way. When
you open stores there is alot of overhead, Lego could make more money if
they just loosened up. I am trying to start my own buisness and I called
Lego to try to get an account and the lady actually laughed at me when I
asked if I could start up an account -- she actually laughed at me. I was in
shock. They ended up sending me a letter stating their requirments for
online sellers - and unless you are on the same scale as TRU or Amazon -
FORGET IT!

Is this what companies that want to make money do? Laugh at people who want
to sell their product? I have set up other accounts with other companies
that actually want my money, I guess Lego has their noses up to far in the
air to see what is really going on here at ground level.

Its just a shame.

Mark P
http://www.landofbricks.com