 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4572
Re: Poor Service to Toy Shops = No Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 05:53:46 GMT

This is really kind of sad, only because I've heard it so many times.
The primary complaints of my local "mah-n-pop" toy store are almost
identical to others in this list.
But to add my question to this string, why such a small margin for the
retailer?  It makes the product hard to carry, most smaller stores only do
it for the draw.  Lots of people Expect toy stores to have Lego.
Is it just Lego strong-arm at work or is there a valid reason?  Is Lego very
expensive to produce? What is the AVERAGE cost to produce any given brick in
any given set I wonder.  I know that cost varies wildly on
size/color/rarity/etc.  I'm wondering the average.
Is Lego maybe not interested in the smaller stores?
Are they just trying to keep it out of AFOL hands who might be able to buy
wholesale?
(a couple of theories on my part BTW)

I don't know.  Thoughts?

Mark